Sharp New Grad Program Fall 2012/Winter 2013 - Page 5Register Today!
- Oct 19, '12 by ExPharmaGirlQuote from NurseMandoCommandoMy first time applying!! Good luck to you!These two were my top choices as well Have you applied for sharp before? I got an interview for Mary Birch L&D last fall, right before I graduated, but they "chose other candidates". I'm hoping my little extras since then will help me this time around... Good luck to you!
- Oct 20, '12 by NurseMandoCommandoQuote from Jazi123I did think it was intense, but I was VERY nervous as Mary Birch is also my dream job. (After doing a lot of applications and interviews now, I actually think UCSD's new grad program interview was more difficult, I think this is because they have a higher population of high risk moms whereas Mary Birch may not be as high risk, but delivers A LOT more babies.) Questions were pretty common- strengths, weaknesses, goals, most/least fav clinical area. After I got rejected via email, I responded asking for advice and what was given to me was to: get ACLS and NRP, become an AWHONN member, take the Maternal Newborn Nursing Course through RPS, build interview skills, and to have some sort of RN experience. Since then, I have done all of the above except have RN experience and I think we can all agree- how can I get experience if nobody will hire a new grad?I heard the interview for this department can be intense. Can you share what it's like? Type of questions, etc. I'm so anxious. I know it's super competitive and the chances of even getting a call are slim but i still get excited with every app I send out. I applied to L&D at Mary Birch (my dream job) and Grossmont. Good luck!!!
I think it also can't be overemphasized how much it matters if you have a connection to a hospital- I'm pretty sure relatives make a difference for Sharp, but I definitely know Scripps hires mostly based on connections with employees of the hospital- at least for their new grad program. This is the most frustrating part to me, because none of my family is in the medical field- I'm the first one, so I don't have that connection. I just don't see how having a connection makes someone more qualified for a job... that's probably because it doesn't.
Sorry for the long, vent-ful response, but thus far, my career search has been long and tedious and my patience and hope is wearing thin. Good luck to us all this time around! ::crosses fingers::
- Oct 20, '12 by hiphippoNurseMandoCommando you can always get RN experience by working in SNFs or LTCs. I work in a subacute/SNF right now. It may not be the ideal experience any new grad is looking for but it's something and probably the only places that will hire new grads.
- Oct 20, '12 by hiphippoCoriander-- when sharp first contacts an applicant..is it by email or phone? just want to be sure to know what I'm looking out for (hoping that I will get a response ).
- Oct 21, '12 by CorianderQuote from hiphippoSorry, just got back into town today.Coriander-- when sharp first contacts an applicant..is it by email or phone? just want to be sure to know what I'm looking out for (hoping that I will get a response ).
I have always been contacted by phone. PLEASE give them a phone number that you know will work. Unfortunately, I have the experience of a certain cellphone company not getting a voicemail through until two weeks too late.
- Oct 21, '12 by ExPharmaGirlDoes anyone have any idea how many people applied and how many people they are hiring?
- Oct 22, '12 by CorianderQuote from ExPharmaGirlNo, and that's something I should have asked the recruiter when I saw her this weekend at our Convention.Does anyone have any idea how many people applied and how many people they are hiring?
- Oct 22, '12 by ninad222What convention was it? Where volunteers invited?
- Oct 22, '12 by ChristMRNEverytime the phone rings or I get an email I'm like please let it be Sharp! Lol Dx: obsessive Compulsive email checking disorder 😀
- Oct 22, '12 by CorianderQuote from ninad222Ugh, sorry, I was so brain dead when I got home I forgot to say. It was the nursing student convention for California. Sharp was represented there, but she was so swamped that I didn't have a chance to say more than a few words.What convention was it? Where volunteers invited?