San Francisco State Nursing Program
- 0May 20, '08 by SanFranGirl
Hello everyone. I’m new to this WONDERFUL site.
I was just recently accepted to the clinical program at SF State for Spring 09. I have a couple of friends that start their clinical programs this fall and they have decided to take pharmacology this summer to help lighten their first semester course load. I checked the summer course catalog at SF State and they offer pharmacology this summer. My questions is should I try to get into the class? Would taking the class this summer be helpful in getting a head start on my first semester?
To all past and current students of the program… are there any huge pitfalls that I should keep an eye out for? I have no clue what to expect during my first semester so any info would be greatly appreciated!
Ohh… one last thing. Can we use calculators in the program?
- 6,330 Visits
- 0May 21, '08 by tobagosamaCongratulations on getting in! Taking pharm over the summer would definitely help lighten your class load in future semesters, but unless you are going to be working while in nursing school, I would say hold off on taking it for now. You will get far more out of the class by taking it while you are getting some clinical experience at the same time. This will allow you to see the drugs you are learning about in clinical practice, which will reinforce the material. You can indeed use calculators!
- 0May 21, '08 by SanFranGirlJust found out that they will not let Spring 09 entry students into the summer class. What you said though about the clinical experience aiding in the retention of the pharmacology information makes sense… so I guess I will just sit back this summer!
Thanks for letting me know that we can use calculators in the program. I was starting to worry reading all the threads about students failing tests due to simple computation errors!
Tobagosama – are you a nursing student at SF State? If so, any MAJOR pitfalls I should try to avoid as a new student? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
- 0May 22, '08 by tobagosamaI am a SFSU nursing student. I don't know about any specific pitfalls, but I would just say be prepared to be flexible. Dealing with the administration can be unbelievably frustrating. You will have some of the most amazing teachers you have ever encountered along with some of the worst. When it comes time for your final clinical (N557), stay on top of the faculty to make sure they don't drop the ball in finding you a placement. There have been some definite issues with that in my cohort. Other then that be proactive in seeking out learning opportunities in your clinicals, and have fun! If you have any other questions, or some that come up as you go along feel free to PM anytime.
- 0May 22, '08 by engima2174hi sanfrangirl, congratulations on getting into the school of nursing!
you mentioned that your have friends start their clinical program in the fall, and are allowed to take pharmacology? interesting! i thought you had to take specific classes per their planning of classes? i wonder how they got to register before the "mandatory" orientation in july? did your friends tell you what hospitals are affiliated with sfsu for clinicals? and any infor on the sfsu would be great!
hello everyone. i’m new to this wonderful site.
i was just recently accepted to the clinical program at sf state for spring 09. i have a couple of friends that start their clinical programs this fall and they have decided to take pharmacology this summer to help lighten their first semester course load. i checked the summer course catalog at sf state and they offer pharmacology this summer. my questions is should i try to get into the class? would taking the class this summer be helpful in getting a head start on my first semester?
to all past and current students of the program… are there any huge pitfalls that i should keep an eye out for? i have no clue what to expect during my first semester so any info would be greatly appreciated!
ohh… one last thing. can we use calculators in the program?[/quote]
- 0they are both attending different ns. one is going to dominican and the other to contra costa college. both schools let you take pharmacology in the summer prior to fall entry.
i would love to find out the lists of hospitals that sf state sends us to for clinicals... but as of yet, i don't have that info. will be sure to share if i am able to track it down!
- 0May 22, '08 by CMCRNWe have SFSU students at CPMC.
Something that I might suggest re the last semester, if you know what area you want to do it in, keep your eyes open for a nurse you would like to work with and ask her your self. I work L&D and have agreed to precept a couple of students that I had a day with during their maternity rotation that asked me because I had a chance to watch them work and knew they were sharp. Whereas if my boss asked me, not likely because I wouldn't know what I was getting. BTW, I too am a SFSU grad. Congratulations on getting in San Fran girl!