CSUN ABSN - Page 4Register Today!
- Feb 26, '12 by willowLAThank you, Lilpeapods!
I applied to both CSUN and Mt. St. Mary's, as I was not counting on me getting to CSUN at all, since they admit only 18 people per start. I am slightly torn on the subject, as some of my friends (who are not nurses though) say that MSMC's rep is so much worth the money. I am not bathing in money, and having a huge private loan on my shoulders down the road makes me think twice about MSMC. CSUN sounds like a solid program for comparatively less money. I sound repetitive Do you think MSMC graduates will be much preferred to graduates of other schools when it comes to the hiring process?
- Feb 26, '12 by willowLAAnd I really hope that CSULA will accept you, as it is your first choice!: ) But I totally agree that it feels nice to know you have already been accepted somewhere!
- Feb 26, '12 by lilpeapodsQuote from willowLApersonally, i don't think MSMC graduates have an edge over grads from other schools. at the hospital where i work as a CNA, we have new grads with nursing degrees from UCLA to Cal State to Santa Monica College. I feel the interview influences the unit director's decision more than where you went to school! if you have a good rapport with the person interviewing you and show enthusiasm for the position, they will choose you over someone who went to a "name brand" school but didn't shine during the interview. you know what i mean?Do you think MSMC graduates will be much preferred to graduates of other schools when it comes to the hiring process?
when do you hear from MSMC? we have until march 14th to notify CSUN of our intent to attend. i hope i hear back from CSULA before then.
- Feb 28, '12 by willowLAThank you, Lilpeapods! You are right, I guess I am just being obsessing over decisions that I need to make. But MSMC will notify of their decision only on May/June for Fall start, so I will definitely accept CSUN.
Have you heard from CSULA yet?
- Feb 29, '12 by lilpeapods@willowLA - i interviewed with CSULA last week, but the program coordinator said it would take several weeks before she notifies people of her decision because she's only in the early stages of conducting interviews.
i'm not sure what to do. should i reach out to her as we approach the march 14th deadline for CSUN? what do you think? i don't want to bug her about my admission status if she's still interviewing people and isn't ready to give an answer. help!
- Feb 29, '12 by happyperson2hi lilpeapods and willowLA!
Congratulations on your acceptances to CSUN! That's awesome! I haven't heard anything (which I'm taking to be a sign...), but I'm waiting for some other prospects before I completely lose hope =).
willowLA - I saw your posts about MSMC. I've heard of a lot of people graduating from MSMC getting positions at UCLA. So that might be something to consider. But then again, I'm sure CSUN graduates are also getting positions at places like Northridge hospital =). I have to agree that it's more the networking that will get you the position than the name of the school you attend.
lilpeapods - As far as what to do about CSULA.... that's pretty tough. How did your interview go? If you are pretty confident that it went well and you felt comfortable talking to her in the interview, it might help you to make the decision if you did contact the program coordinator at CSULA. It's great to have CSUN as an option, but if you really want CSULA, you might want to look into seeing where you're standing =). Hope that helps a little...
Take care =)
- Feb 29, '12 by willowLAHi, Happyperon2, thank you for sharing your opinion on my problem! True, networking is the king. Sigh. I suck at it, but I guess I will need to work on that skill. Do you think volunteering in a certain hospital helps? I have been volunteering at Cedars, and intend to keep on doing that even after my one year commitment expires.
Happyperson2, I really-really hope that you will get in. This year not too many people are discussing CSUN ABSN program, so it is not clear how other applicants are doing - maybe more letters are being sent, interviews are being set up, and we just don't know because nobody is discussing it. Can I ask you, what other schools have you applied to?
- Feb 29, '12 by willowLALilpeapods,
I think it will be quite understandable if you contact the program coordinator at CSULA. But again, correct me if I am wrong, you can always accept CSUN, and if you hear the good news from CSULA, you can notify CSUN immediately, and they will contact a person on the alternate list. Life happens, and sometimes people have to put off school for a year, or family emergencies happen, so I would think sometimes prospective students change their decision after they sign this letter.
- Feb 29, '12 by danceluverHi! I'm in too! Still weighing other options as well. I'm suprised more people haven't posted....strange
- Feb 29, '12 by danceluverwish current or former students would post so we could get an idea of what the program is like