WOOO PIG SOOIE ARKANSAS Introductions!! - page 10
by brian 23,230 Views | 96 Comments Admin
Hi everyone! I just thought I'd start the new State forums off with an introduction thread. Please feel free to reply to this thread if you wish. Otherwise, feel free to start a new topic if you wish to discuss other topics... Read More
- 0Apr 21, '09 by scrappymomHi! I live in western Arkansas, and am just starting nursing school @ UAFS. Am so GLAD to see this Arkansas forum! I would really appreciate any & all advice you all can give me about the nursing profession - from school to jobs, experience, etc. I'm 45 & starting a new career, so I'm not sure how many years I can afford to spend in school. But I do feel I have a little 'experience' in the nursing field: for the past 18+ yrs, I've been primary caregiver to my multi-handicapped son, who has a severe seizure disorder, among other things. Also, my husband was dx'd almost 3 yrs. ago with Cirrhosis and has had 2 strokes, along with high blood pressure and Rheumatoid Arthritis, and I take care of him.
I do have questions, because at my age, I don't want to spend a lot of $$ and years in school, only to find that I've chosen the wrong career path. At the moment, nursing seems to be a natural choice for me, and sounds like a perfect fit.
1. Is there a nursing shortage in our state? (and if so, does that include all types of nurses - CNAs, LPNs, RNs, etc.)
2. How long did it take you to get jobs after graduation?
3. Is it possible for a new ADN grad to get a job in a hospital or clinic? (without knowing someone)
I look forward to hearing your answers, comments & your own experiences. Thanks!
- 0May 14, '12 by Megsmom8I'm starting in January 2013, RN fast-track. I understand it to be 4 days a week. When that is completed you can continue through UALR's BSN completer program, of which I understand most to be online. Unfortunately, I will have to take chemistry at the start of the program and can't do it this fall. I'm sure you can complete BSN through ASU or other places also.
I graduated LPN through Baptist so the familiarity of the system is helpful. Baptist School provides alot of clinical practice which you will find helpful.
Are you starting at the beginning of becoming an RN or are you a LPN applying for the fast-track (1 yr)?
- 0Jul 21, '12 by rivershark2005Hey everybody. Jonathan here. I'm a CNA and a nursing student. Well, pre-nursing. I'm attending SAU in Magnolia. I have a year of pre-reqs left and will be doing my best to get accepted into the BSN program for Fall 2013. I'm currently looking for employment and waiting to take my state test for my CNA license. I just wanted to check in, say hi to all the Arkansas nurses, and introduce myself. So hi everybody!!!
- 1Oct 19, '12 by Wanna-B-NurseQuote from brianHello all! I am graduating in December from an RN program in California and then moving back to my hometown in northwest Arkansas. I will be taking the boards there and I'm hoping to be hired at a local hospital soon! Fingers crossedHi everyone! I just thought I'd start the new State forums off with an introduction thread. Please feel free to reply to this thread if you wish. Otherwise, feel free to start a new topic if you wish to discuss other topics that are local or state related. Enjoy!