Nursing school suppliesRegister Today!
- by shenderson16 Apr 19, '12Hey, I start ualr in may. Should I buy a laptop for school? I have one but it is old!!!And what are the best backpacks?Thanks!!
- Apr 22, '12 by cootvonyou will be on WebCT a lot...so a new computer is up to you. I wouldn't buy one if your current one works fine. SOME people like to take notes on a netbook in class, which is allowed. As for backpacks, you are about to buy the biggest, heaviest textbooks you've ever seen. Depending on your size, you may want a rolling backpack. I try not to take my books out of the house ever, so a regular backpack works fine for me...just something to carry a binder in. If you are the type that likes to always carry your textbook to class, your summer book is pretty big, your medsurg book is bigger and >10lbs. if that helps any
- Apr 23, '12 by shenderson16Thank you!
- Apr 23, '12 by cootvonyou are welcome. good luck. the summer semester is nerve racking. if you are a shy, non-people person, throw that out before you get there. Once you hit the skills lab you need to get as much practice in on as many people as you can.
- Apr 24, '12 by mashay2316I am starting UALR in May too! I was thinking about getting an I-pad or Kindle Fire...can I do what I need to do for class on one of those, or do I need a laptop?
- Apr 24, '12 by cootvonI know of a couple people that had ipads with bluetooth keyboards and typed notes in class. as for the kindle fire, I personally wouldn't want to type notes on a 7" tablet. If you can get a bluetooth keyboard for it..maybe You will need microsoft word or something similar for all of your clinical paperwork. I wouldn't want to do any of that on a tablet either. just my.02
Me personally, I take notes on paper in class. I use a laptop to do my clinical paperwork. I see no need to take tablet or laptop to school with me. If I were you, I wouldn't make any purchases until you get into the fall
- Apr 24, '12 by mashay2316I like to write my class notes on paper too! I was wondering about the WebCT you mentioned...but if we need Word to do a lot of clinical notes, then I guess that answers my question! Thanks!!
- Apr 25, '12 by cootvonand i forgot to mention, they change things all the time so what i say may not mean a thing in a month
seriously though.. clinical paperwork now is ~20 pages. no way i'm touching a screen to fill out that much stuff. webct is more of a holding area for info than something you'll need to type in everyday. of course, like i said that all can change quickly.
you guys will have a blast. nursing school is unlike anything you've ever done.
the once piece of advice is that you don't listen to what anyone says about this or that being the hardest test/semester/class etc. don't get caught up in the drama of school. keep your head down and your eye on the prize.
- Apr 25, '12 by shenderson16Thank! I appreciate the confidence booster! We will need it.