Discuss: Premium Membership and recent changes to the forums - page 15
by brian Admin | 30,025 Views | 182 Comments
please use this thread to discuss this announcement: premium membership and recent changes to the forums thanks admin note added: after further consideration, it would have been better to give a warning, so i will be... Read More
- 0Jan 7, '05 by gypsyatheartWow! I've been gone a while, several weeks, in fact. I came back recently, now that life has settled down for me, etc, and I noticed my pic was gone, as well as my sig line. I thought maybe it was my computer or something. Then I came upon this announcement.
First, I have no problem w/the owner of the site/Brian requesting money for the "premium services". Other sites have done similarly.
What would have been nice, for me, maybe others, is perhaps an email a month or so before the changes , so I could've upgraded then and saved my pic and sig line. I'm on a new computer so don't have access to a lot of my "hard drive" stuff. However, I realize that it would've been next to impossible to notify everyone by email, so....
It's been hashed and re-hashed as to the timing of the changes...water under the bridge now.
Second, I just finished reading all the pages in this thread and had a lot of conflicting thoughts.....from time to time during my membership here I have been frustrated by certain threads, as I'm sure we all have (ie: this isn't a nursing issue, this thread doesn't belong in here, and my personal favorite: this isn't even a nurse posting this thread...yikes, we deal w/patients all day at work, now here.... :uhoh21:! )
However, I totally understand the need for the change,and I've always been of the mind...if you don't like something or don't want to do it, then just say no! :chuckle If you don't like certain threads, don't read 'em, or certain forums, etc.....
Ultimately, I do intend on upgrading....this is a wonderful community, I am honored to be a part of it and grateful to have found this site.
So, to wind up my lengthy post.... :imbar ....thanks for the site, Brian, and keep up the good work!
Oh and P.S.: I don't plan on upgrading so I can post in certain forums, or have my pics or anything....I will upgrade, because the site needs it...so, of course, I will offer it!
- 0Jan 8, '05 by CseMgr1I can understand why these changes had to be made. My son, who is Director of E-Commerce for a company, and runs his own web design company on the side, says that maintaining these websites is terribly expensive and time-consuming. But, like many others here who are also strapped for cash (and who isn't, these days?), I'll have to wait until Uncle Sam gives me back my money that he's been using all year...to get my alvatar and signature back.
- 0Feb 8, '05 by roxannekkbI am very late to this post today, but I've been gone for about two months, and tried to post on current events. I couldn't figure it out at first, and then I realized that the forum was now restricted.
I know that it is expensive to run a website, as we have two and are in the process of starting two others, and $24 is not a lot of money for most of us. However, what bothered me was that when the premium membership was first offered, I am sure that I read that it was only going to be an add-on of benefits. Nothing currently being offered was going to be restricted, but that being a member would give you extra perks. But it seems that benefits have been removed. And I think that aspect probably bothers other people as well, that premium membership is more to pay for what was once free, rather than getting any real additional benefits.
Anyway, my late 2 cents on the matter. I'll miss the CE forum, but oh well, c'est la vie.
- 0Feb 8, '05 by *PICURN*the only thing that bothers me is not being able to post in the "break room" and "current events" forum
i guess i just don't really understand why only premium members are allowed to access these particular forums!
that was the only change i felt was kind of weird
like someone else mentioned, premium members i think should get benefits, but i don't think the non-premium members should necessarily be restricted from posting in some forums.
- 0Feb 8, '05 by Marie_LPN, RNi guess i just don't really understand why only premium members are allowed to access these particular forums!
- 0Feb 23, '05 by brian, ADN AdminQuote from AnerooIf you go ahead and pay by check through paypal, PM me, I can activate your account before the 4 day clearance. I'll PM you as well. ThanksIs there another way to pay besides paypal? Can I not pay with a CC? I have to wait a few days for paypal to do the thing with my checking account. :angryfire Is there another way that is quicker? I was getting excited about being able to use those threads and stuff again.
- 0Mar 19, '05 by giadsuthanxs for giving me the necessary information about the site and the advancement made up in the website :chuckle but sad to say that i prefer to use the site without further upgradement in the premium memebnership [but i assure you that once i can stand on my own legs i will be a member of your premiun membership so kindly excuse me for the momentquote=brian]please use this thread to discuss this announcement:
premium membership and recent changes to the forums
admin note added:
after further consideration, it would have been better to give a warning, so i will be opening both the break room and the current events forums until jan 2nd. give me a few minutes to re-open the forums and modify the announcement.
sorry for the error in judgement. (i'm human)
added note 12-8-04 10:30 am:
here is my rationale for starting the premium membership program, i posted this yesterday 12-7-04 @ 02:30 pm cst in the discussion thread here
i hope that helps you understand my reasoning. thanks!