Avatar pictures not displaying properlyRegister Today!
- by Griffin123 Jan 4, '12Hi there. I'm new to the site but am having some issues with the avatar picture not centering correctly. It looks fine when you click on a forum and are looking at the various threads but when you click a specific topic and read the responses the avatar pictures change. It's as if they zoom in. Example: One person had an avatar of Garfield where the bottom of the picture starts at the bottom of his neck. It displays fine when looking at a list of all the general topics. When you click the topic that the author started it then zooms in to garfields face and cuts out anything below the bottom of his teeth.
In some cases (like pictures of a person) this might be fine but if the user uploads an avatar where it's necessary to see the whole thing (like a funny picture) it's going to get cut off. Is there a way to make it to where the avatar pics don't get cut off?
- 688 Views
- if you don't want your avatar to get cut off you will need to upload the avatar at 88px * 77px
attached is a re-sized image; right-click Save-As and upload as a Custom avatar
- Hi Joe, thx for the info!! There was actually a different avatar I wanted to change to, I'm going to try to resize it and upload it again. Just as a thought: It may be worth considering having the forum deny any avatar that is above max recommended. The wording that is currently used on the custom avatar page is "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 125 pixels or 34.2 KB (whichever is smaller)." I didn't even check to see if the picture I wanted to upload met those parameters- I just naturally assumed it would get declined if it didn't. Also worth mentioning- the pre defined entertainment avatars are having the same issue. The mouths are cut out of the picture on many of them (probably for the same reason).
- that's done on purpose
most members don't know or have the tools to resize so we do it on our end (the system automatically resizes) ... members tend to upload avatars at all sizes so we picked a "size" that work in a 88px * 77px window
100px*125px are maximum sizes - you are allowed to upload smaller sizes
for example, if you upload a 300*100 image - with a max 100px width and the max 125px height the height of the image will be really small when resized (proportions are kept the same) ... the small height will look small within the "avatar window"
- I understand what you're saying. But it might be worth considering using a different method. Currently, the end result we see are avatars that are not fitted to the "Avatar box" and we see a degree of white background outside of the avatar picture and within the box designed to contain the avatar. It just looks a bit off and it takes a while for a person to resize it over and over again till they find the version that looks the best. Just my opinion.
- that's exactly the reason why it's done the way it is - images uploaded are all different sizes
we can't control what you do but we can control how it's displayed
the avatar box is fixed-width and fixed-height because having a random sized avatar box will just make things look chaotic I
I re-created and uploaded you a new avatar.
- ok and thx.Last edit by Griffin123 on Jan 4, '12 : Reason: Edited for clarity