Work in Alaska? - page 3
by thatchergirl 15,302 Views | 25 Comments
i heard that they pay nurses $50,00/hour to work in alaska.. is that true? what do you think about that? would you go to alaska and work there? if you got the license somewhere else would you be able to transfer or they are not... Read More
- 0Jan 31, '13 by PMFB-RNQuote from mariebailey*** I am happy you found that to be true. I looked into several jobs in AK. Anchorage and Bethel. I found the pay about 25% less than I make here in the upper midwest and the cost of living dramaticaly higher.I will say the pay compensates for the higher cost of living.
- 0Jan 31, '13 by blueberry POP tart:)Quote from PMFB-RNWow that's incredible! I think i am paid like royalty, and I find the cost of living to be much the same! Maybe cause I'm in a smaller town?!
*** I am happy you found that to be true. I looked into several jobs in AK. Anchorage and Bethel. I found the pay about 25% less than I make here in the upper midwest and the cost of living dramaticaly higher.
- 0Jan 31, '13 by PMFB-RNQuote from AKgatorzgirlWhile I only interviewed for two positions I did an extensive search for jobs and pay rates in AK. This was about 2 years ago. I didn't find any place in AK paying more than $80-90K for experienced RNs. Most paid less.Wow that's incredible! I think i am paid like royalty, and I find the cost of living to be much the same! Maybe cause I'm in a smaller town?!
- 0Feb 1, '13 by rotteluvr31Interesting, like another poster, I found the pay to be a 33% increase from where I was in the mid-west. But the housing here is much more expensive than what we had in the mid-west. For what I paid for my house in the city, I could be living on waterfront property with my boat tied to my dock. Oh well.
- 0Feb 7, '13 by MurseMike33322"Fairbanks can easily get -60 below during the winter"
Just scratched Fairbanks off my list of places to work after School. I'm a skier and rock climber, and even -30 is beyond brutal and tolerable. But -60? They couldnt pay me enough! Anyone working there should get AT LEAST $100/hr!!!!!
- 0Feb 7, '13 by tewdlesYou couldn't pay me enough to live and work in Bethel...
It is amazing to me that I have actually survived a winter with -55 temps!
As a great lakes person I have been accustomed to cold weather but this was frigid!
The interesting thing is that the damp cold with penetrating winds were actually more difficult in Michigan than the brutal cold was for me here...go figure.
One day at -45 I was outside throwing hot water in the air and filming it for my family down below...it didn't seem that cold at all.