Question for Calhoun Nursing Students
- 0Jan 19, '09 by beach_bride514quick question...
I'm graduating this May. Would it be pointless for me to apply for the Fall 2009 semester?? I don't know the odds of a freshly out of high school person getting accepted to a nursing school.
i've talked with a few people who are either in the program, or have graduated already. they have told me that I should be fine.
My ACT score is not terrific, but the english and math scores are okay. I've already taken History 201 and 202 & Chemistry 111 and 112 classes at Calhoun through my high school already and I am now working on English 101 & 102.
I have spoken with the Dean of Health at Calhoun before and he informed me that basically the Chemistry and History classes won't help me any. However, the english will...
anyway.. I just really want to know if there is a chance that an 18 year old could be accepted. and what all i need to be working on this summer.
thank you...and i guess that really wasn't a quick question.
- 0Jan 28, '09 by TessaprnI graduated Calhoun 1990 and UAH 1998 I'm a cardiac nurse in CCU. I was 32 when I graduated from Nursing School. I went the way of family first then when they were in school I went back. Just a little tidbit. My husband retired Army 1993 and then graduated UAH with his RN,BSN 1996, he works CCU. My oldest daughter graduated Calhoun 1998 ADN, she works NICU. My oldest son graduated UAH RN,BSN 1999, started out in NeoICU then to CCU for adult critical care for CRNA school and then graduate UT Chattanooga 2004 and recieved his CRNA, now works in OR. Must include the other 2. Youngest daughter graduated Huntsville Hospital School of Radiology Technology (it has a longer name) in 2000 and youngest son graduated same school 2002. They have a Registered Radiologist Technologist (RT) license. They specialize in CT. Must not forget my niece she works Peds and graduated about 2002.
At this time I am retired early and loving it.
Nursing has its good and its bad but I do not regret the profession, I would do it all over with a few changes.
You go ahead and don't wait and I wish you all the luck and good thoughts for your success.
- 0Jan 28, '09 by beach_bride514wow! That's pretty impressive!!!
As of right now, I am planning to go ahead and take the chance. I still think that I'm going to go ahead and get the Math 116 and Bio 201 out of the way this summer.
I want to wait and see how some relationship stuff works out before I go back for my BSN. I want to work a while just with my ADN.
....but first I have to get accepted!! hah, thank you so much for the encouragement and best wishes! I'll keep you updated!
- 0Feb 21, '09 by NurseandwifeI am in the program right now and the best advice I can give you is get your A&P and if you can your Micro out of the way before you start the program. You can do it all together I know lots of girls who are doing it but all I have are my nursing classes (no prerecs) and I am so thankful. Taking all that stuff first was the best thing I ever did!!!
- 0Feb 22, '09 by beach_bride514Thank you for the reply!
What semester are you in??
I've decided to go ahead and apply. If I don't get in this year then I'll take it as a blessing and know that maybe I'm not ready to handle it all at once. I know it will be stressful and tough, but I want this more than anything!!
Which classes are Microbiology and A&P? I'm only familiar with the numbers...like BIO 201 202 etc.
This summer I will be taking Bio 201 and Math 112...Wish me luck!!