Another "Working" question--Register Today!
This is a discussion on Another "Working" question-- in Alabama Nursing, part of United States Nursing ... I'm currently working a 9-5 type job, and I know that full-tim nursing school won't let me work...by TemperTantrum Jan 20, '09I'm currently working a 9-5 type job, and I know that full-tim nursing school won't let me work that schedule.
I'm another one of those that absolutely must work to live--
Has anyone worked a waitress job? I'm thinking if I can just work 5-10, from what I've heard, the tips would be enough.
Any suggestions/advice on what restaurants are good employers? I'm looking pretty strongly at Logan's Roadhouse?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=363977©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,301 Views
- Jan 24, '09 by tlm2987I used to work at Applebee's my first couple years of college. I made pretty good tips. I hear Logan's is a good place to work as well. I also worked every shift. Day-time, nights, weekends. If you know what you're doing, none of them are really that bad. It does take some time to get the experience for them to give you more tables. The more customers you have, the more money you will make. Good luck!
- Jan 24, '09 by TemperTantrumThank you! That is very comforting. I've never done waitressing, but I have done fast food, and for the past 5 years or so I've been working customer-service oriented jobs (retail, cashier, and phone based customer service). I'm sure you're familiar with the fear of the unknown. =)
- Jan 29, '09 by Lovelymo79Even though I don't live in Alabama (but my family is from there!), I am one of those who must work to eat! I've waitressed before and depending on where you are..the tips can be GREAT! It's also major flexible..so it should be a good fit.
I work a 9 -5 job now..with occasional overtime and traveling..and I know I will NOT be working here come the fall with nursing school. Too much overtime and too much stress. However, I'm waiting for a callback for a unit secretary job that I just did a basic skills test for. I want to work per diem now and when I start nursing school..move to part-time.
I also have my substitute teaching license and I intend on doing that as well (I'll be in the evening program, hopefully).
But, waitressing is definitely a good choice!
- UPDATE-- Yesterday I had a second (yes, SECOND) interview with Logan's Roadhouse. he seemed to like me, and said that he couldn't make a decision right then because he had another interview today, but if I didn't hear back from him by 8pm today, to call him. I told him if I hadn't heard from him by the time I get off work at 5, I'd try to convince my husband that we'd be going to Logan's Roadhouse for dinner! After all, who doesn't like talking it out over dinner?
He did start telling me a little bit about training schedules, so I'm thinking that's a good sign?
- Feb 5, '09 by Lovelymo79I can't believe he didn't hire you on the spot..AND had you come in for a SECOND interview!! I don't know anything about this resturant..but it must really be high-end!
I hope you get the position! Keep us posted!
- Wow--- I guess I was ok with it, because my current job interviewed me twice, once with a company wide HR rep, and the second time with the supervisor of the department I was applying for.
With Logan's, I interviewed with a woman whom I belive to be an assistant manager, and yesterday's interview was with the Store manager.
Maybe he's just being selective?
- I got the job! I'm only going to complete a 1 week notice with my current job, and I start training next Monday!
- Feb 6, '09 by Lovelymo79YAY!!! Congrats!
- Feb 10, '09 by TemperTantrumJust had the exit interview at the "old" job-- It was so sad and touching! He said that my supervisors reported that I was hands-down their best. He also chatted with me on what could be improved and what they were doing well already, etc. Kinda getting an "inside scoop" if you will about what is actually going on in other departments.
Aww! So flattered. "I'm # 1! I'm # 1!"