What kind of nurse is this?Register Today!
- by handyrn Jan 9, '11I was cruising around allnurses to find a place where nurses like me can discuss things and am having a hard time. I guess I would be an agency nurse but a different kind of agency nurse. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can go to have discussions with others who have jobs like mine.
I work for a few different companies such as Maxim, Summit and Cigna (formerly Kronos). We do some flu shot clinics but what I usually do are health clinics. There are anywhere from 2-8 of us that do these health clinics. We generally do not know each other unless we have run into each other at another clinic previously. We are not all nurses, either. Some are CNAs, some are EMTs, etc. Anyway, here is the scenario: We show up at XYZ company and set up a "station" for ourselves. The company's employees have appointments to see us, usually 15 minutes for each employee. They come to us and we do height, weight, waist circ, BMI, B/P, pulse, and then obtain blood for FSBS and cholesterol. (Sometimes dermascan and bone density as well.) Then we do counselling on all these things and give tips on how to improve the numbers. We end up seeing people one right after another all day. Sometimes these are daily jobs but most times the company is large enough that we are there for 2-5 days.
The other company I work for is Lifeplans. In this job, I get an assignment via the internet to go assess individuals and then submit the assessment which then gets summarized and sent to their insurance company.
So, any ideas on where nurses like me are posting?
- Jan 29, '11 by TravelswithmuttSounds like community health nursing
- Feb 14, '11 by Simba&NalasMomI have been working primarily for a staffing agency but a lot of the work they've had for me in the last year has been clinics just like yours. I'm an LPN. I'm not sure, either, where you can network...however, I would love to be able to find more work in my area (Portland, OR) doing clinics directly for the companies. Summit is out because my agency has a 12-month contract clause. I sent an application on the Kronos website but never heard anything back.
How do you like what you do?
- Mar 13, '11 by inforn43Can one of you please reply right away. I am signed up to start this exact type of job tomorrow. I am really concerned and have a lot of questions. First of all how and when did they pay you? Was it once a month? Also, you mentioned signing something that said you could not work for another agency, what was that? How many hours of work do you get each month? The company that called me was Cigna, is that who you guys are working for? I have never done this type of work before and it kind of sounds like a scam. But, there are NO jobs in Portland and I need to work.
- Mar 13, '11 by Simba&NalasMomQuote from inforn43Well, I've never worked directly for any of those companies so I don't know about their pay, etc. They should have made that clear to you when they hired you. Cigna is a pretty big, well-known company so I doubt it's a scam. Did they provide you with any training? Do you know if you will be working with anybody else? If so, hopefully they have experience with clinics and will be able to show you the ropes. I promise, it is really not difficult work...are you doing any screenings like cholesterol? If so, it's just a bit of an adjustment doing the finger sticks and getting enough blood to fill the pipettes. But honestly, it's not bad...one person at a time, tell them their numbers...most places will provide you with teaching brochures to give to the clients and you can also use them as cheat sheets.Can one of you please reply right away. I am signed up to start this exact type of job tomorrow. I am really concerned and have a lot of questions. First of all how and when did they pay you? Was it once a month? Also, you mentioned signing something that said you could not work for another agency, what was that? How many hours of work do you get each month? The company that called me was Cigna, is that who you guys are working for? I have never done this type of work before and it kind of sounds like a scam. But, there are NO jobs in Portland and I need to work.
(I don't think what I said about working for other agencies has anything to do with your situation. I work for a staffing agency which is a temp agency for nurses and CNAs. The one I work for has a policy that if I take a permanent job with any client to whom I have been assigned in the last 12 months, the client will pay the agency a finder's fee of 30% of my annual salary.)
I didn't know that Cigna had any local work here in Portland. Do they need more nurses? I love doing these clinics!
I would encourage you to give them a call and tell them you want to be as prepared as possible and ask them all your questions.
- Mar 15, '11 by Been there,done thatDo not know the best place for you to post. I have done a lot of agency work... stay away from Maxim.
- Mar 16, '11 by cmm40I live in north Mississippi and would love to do what you are doing. Cannot take hospitals or home health any longer. How do you find the agencies or the companies that do these clinics? I need to work, but will not jeopordize my health and sanity to do so.
- Mar 16, '11 by mentalhealthRNThey let CNAs do these health clinics? Thats legal?!?!? they can't do pt education legally I don't think. Crazy.