Stop applying to the USA - page 7
After all the information that have been given in this forum, is it time for Philippine nurses to stop applying for the USA? The hard economic conditions and visa unavailability seems to point to this. What's your take on this,... Read More
- 0Dec 1, '08 by RNGrad2006Quote from Alexk49That is my point exactly and why I have read that some provinces in Canada (Alberta specifically) are not recognizing a BSN education from the Philippines as equivlaent to a BSN education as per Canadian standard. And you can see that Suzanne also posted that RN's from the Philippines are working as LPN's in Alberta. They have a very high standard in Alberta for the LPN progam so that is not looked upon or should it as looking down on the LPN but just that the education is not being assessed as equivalent to the BSN education in Canada.There is a big difference between 19-20 to 21 -22 years old. How can one do all the prereqs for nursing by grade 10, chem, 4 years of english, biology, 4 year of math that is what I had to show prior to admission in nursing school.
- 0Dec 1, '08 by Ginger's MomQuote from suzanne4Are you saying that no high school chemistry or biology? As a former LPN instructor who's students has limited chemistry and A&P sometimes they could not just get a concept because they didn't have the theory behind them. Yes you are right with no college level chem or A&P it is the PN level.The US as well as Canada require that nursing school not begin until after one graduates from high school and at the equivalent of what is being done in US schools. This is one reason why training done in other countries does not always meet the requirements for either of these two countries.
When schooling is done while in HS, then the highest that can be accepted is that of the LPN even in the US. Only vocational certification can be obtained.
- 0Dec 1, '08 by Valerie SalvaQuote from Alexk49Are you saying that no high school chemistry or biology? As a former LPN instructor who's students has limited chemistry and A&P sometimes they could not just get a concept because they didn't have the theory behind them. Yes you are right with no college level chem or A&P it is the PN level.
I was required to take college level A&P for my LPN program in the US.
I'm an RN now, though.
- 0Dec 1, '08 by Valerie SalvaQuote from greenjungle:clphnds::clphnds::clphnds:So much money is being wasted by parents in the Philippines sending their children to become nurses - a dead end profession. Parents go around proudly telling everyone that they have a nurse in the pipeline about to graduate, and their friends tell them that they will soon be living high on the hog, receiving dollars through remittances once their children get their greencard from the USA.
Most of them think that its a sure thing that their nurses will work in the USA. This thread is trying to wake them up to the fact that this is now an impossible thing, since so many of them have piled up on this one profession. No jobs in the USA and no jobs in the Philippines either.
There will be a shortage in other professions in the Philippines because so many have been pushed into nursing with the goal of working in America.
We hope that Pinoys stop educating new nurses as the job market for them in the USA is now closed for maybe 7 to 10 years, and with the Recession, jobs should go to Americans first - its only fair.
- 4Dec 1, '08 by mauiboyall i'm trying to say is...no one has the right to tell anyone what to do with their life. we live by the choices we've made. i'm sure Filipino nurses by now have been clued up to whats happening in the U.S.
it's their choice,at the end of the day. what i can suggest is,go ahead with your dream....whatever that maybe.if its is going to the US then so be it..but since that door is closed at the moment,try to broaden your horizon and increase your knowledge and experience.pursue other endeavours and find ways to improve yourself.. both as a nurse and as a human being.
- 3Dec 1, '08 by mauiboyand please..if you want to discourage foreign nurses from coming into your country...just say, it's because of your own selfish reason. stop degrading other countries educational system because that is so.....DISGUSTING !!!!!
hates me to say this but i've met a lot a AMERICAN degree holders who can't even spelled words correctly...now tell me...is there a perfect educational system in the world?