AANP recently released this statement on the current status of NP education and addresses how post-graduate training programs should be called:
my take home message:
- AANP is happy with our current educational model.
- AANP is happy with the current accreditation standards (CCNE and ACEN).
- AANP does not want to use "residency" in referring to any type of clinical training whether within the NP program itself or after licensure.
- Post-graduate/post-licensure training programs should be called "fellowships".
- even though the consensus model screwed GNP's royally, the Geronotological Advanced Practice Nurses Association still managed to sit down on a roundtable with AANP with a straight face.