Who's going to NTI 2009 in New Orleans: 5/16-5/21 ??
- 0Aug 8, '08 by icunurse36Hey All:
Anyone going to NTI in May of 2009? I will be there and would like to meet up with others from Allnurses.
- 0Aug 11, '08 by nursecassI'm really really really hoping to go! I'm thinking even if my hospital doesn't pay for any of it I will try to go. (I'm putting in my PTO request as soon as possible-I think I have to wait until the first of the year.) I would love to meet up with some allnurses people. Maybe as it gets a little closer it will be easier to plan.
But while this discussion is up I have a question: Several nurses from my unit want to go because it is in New Orleans, but have already verbalized the fact that they will go to one, maybe two of the sessions each day and that is all. I want to go and actually get into all the sessions I can (I've been to student nurse conferences and find all the info provided is awesome!), and would like to get others to go as well.
Does anyone have suggestions for how to get the group going to more sessions? (Our unit is very cliquey, so if one or two strong people are going to sessions the rest will follow I think.)
- 0Nov 6, '08 by RNforLongTimeIf YOU want to go to the sessions, then go. You're supposed to be there to learn, not party.
That said, I went to a Nursing conference back in 2003 in Las Vegas,,Critical Care Update. was NOT impressed with that at all. And my fellow co-workers and I went to two sessions/day and then spent the rest of the day out at the pool at the hotel(Mirage)
I attended NTI 2008 in Chicago. It was wonderful! Sure, I would've liked to have seem more of the city but I spent money out of my OWN pocket to attend (got NO financial reimbursement from my facility and had to use vacation time). And I made the most of it! I did spend two full days at the exhibits--getting ALL the freebies I could. And the freebies given away at NTI are the BEST!
One booth was giving away free Crocs!!
Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend NTI 2009 in NO. Maybe in 2010? It's too expensive for me to be able to go every year.
- 3Nov 24, '08 by janfrn Asst. Adminiheartcardiac, perhaps you could gently remind those coworkers of yours that they shouldn't claim CEUs for sessions they don't attend. Fraud and all that. Since the topics at NTI really do run the gamut from soup to nuts, they should have no trouble finding several sessions that they'd learn from and actually enjoy the experience. There's really nothing wrong with taking off early and seeing the city, and I guess if they're paying their own way to the conference they don't really have to justify their choices. For me, I don't get to travel much and the continuing education offered by my unit and facility really doesn't amount to much, so I see the opportunity to attend NTI as the best of both worlds. I get some support from my regulatory body and my union to defray the costs and feel some responsbility to attend as many sessions as I can so as to deserve the money. I still manage to do some fun stuff and am really looking forward to sharing a beer with Brian again in NO.
- 0Jan 16, '09 by janfrn Asst. AdminQuote from MedwynnMy hosptial will not be paying any of the costs this year, since i won't ever apply for funding from them again. I'm still waiting for the funding I applied for last May for the 2008 NTI that has been approved for months already. Every time I think the cheque should be in the mail, they come back and ask for more supporting documentation. So it's not worth the hassle.Looking forward to going even if the hospital doesn't pay for the registration fees this year. I'm hoping they will like last year.
It's new orleans. I've never been there so partying is on the list.
- 0Jan 17, '09 by MedwynnQuote from janfrnWell i just spoke with our educator and like last year, our hospital will probably pay for a few critical care nurses to attend. They provided the registration, hotel, per diem food allowance and airfare. I'm just hoping i am one of the lucky ones to get selected.My hosptial will not be paying any of the costs this year, since i won't ever apply for funding from them again. I'm still waiting for the funding I applied for last May for the 2008 NTI that has been approved for months already. Every time I think the cheque should be in the mail, they come back and ask for more supporting documentation. So it's not worth the hassle.